Posted on May 28, 2020 | History Statistics Category
Picture : CF America 2006
CENTRAL/NORTH AMERICA'S CLUB OF THE FIRST DECADE (2001 - 2010):
CF AMERICA CIUDAD DE MEXICO
There are 35 countries affiliated with CONCACAF, although not all of them were considered; mostly because their leagues (clubs) were too weak, and would not have stood a chance of placing somewhere in the middle of their continental rankings. However, any participation of clubs from the CONCACAF area in CONMEBOL club competitions was taken into account; not only for a better global ranking, but also because CONCACAF only has one club ccompetition.
After nine of ten years, the ranking of the first decade was as follows: CF América from Mexico City top the list with a clear lead (193 points), followed by four other Mexican clubs. CD Saprissa of Costa Rica - Central and North America’s Club of the 20th Century - slipped a place in 2010 and takes 7th place at the end of the period 2001-2010. The Central American club followed six Mexican clubs who monopolised the top of this CONCACAF club ranking.
Francisco Guillermo Ochoa, the Legend Goalkeeper of CF America
Although the lead of Club de Fútbol América Ciudad de México was reduced in 2010, this metropolitan club was crowned Central and North America’s Club in the 1st Decade of the 21st Century, ahead of CD Guadalajara, the local rival CD Cruz Azul, Pachuca CF and CD Toluca. Among the “Top 18” were 13 clubs from Mexico. The “Top 100” was composed of clubs from 13 countries. Countries with the most clubs among the “Top 100” : Mexico (18), USA (13), Costa Rica (11), Guatemala (10), El Salvador (10), Honduras (9), Panama (9), Nicaragua (5), Jamaica (5) und Trinidad & Tobago (5). During the 1st Decade (2001-2010) 110 clubs amassed more than 150 points.
CF América Ciudad de México was honoured as Central and North America’s Club of the 1st Decade with a Certificate and a trophy at the World Football Gala 2012 in Barcelona.
RANKING DECADE 2001-2010
1. CF América Ciudad de México (México) 1.270,0
2. Club Deportivo Guadalajara (México) 1.124,5
3. CD Cruz Azul Ciudad de México (México) 1.084,0
4. Pachuca CF (México) 1.058,5
5. Club Deportivo Toluca (México) 1.023,5
6. Club Santos Laguna de Torreon (México) 922,5
7. CD Saprissa San Juan de Tibás San José (Costa Rica) 915,5
8. UNAM Ciudad de Mexico (México) 881,0
9. CSD Municipal Guatemala City (Guatemala) 848,0
10. CD Olimpia Tegucigalpa (Honduras) 814,0
11. Club Atlético Monarcas Morelia (México) 794,5
12. Liga Deportiva Alajuelense Alajuela (Costa Rica) 773,5
13. Club de Futbol Monterrey (México) 753,5
14. Universitario de Nuevo León Monterrey (México) 736,5
15. CSD Comunicaciones Guatemala City (Guatemala) 653,5
16. Atlante FC Ciudad de México (México) 650,5
17. Necaxa FC Aguascalientes (México) 641,5
18. CF Atlas Guadalajara (México) 639,5
19. CD Marathón San Pedro Sula (Honduras) 633,0
20. Deportivo FAS Santa Ana (El Salvador) 568,0